-
May 18th, 2004, 04:34 PM
#61
HB Forum Owner
I think it was in the Official Board is Slow thread, but I don't remember for sure. I read it too, and thought it was a really stupid thing for him to say, when just as many, if not more, people on THEIR board, were bitching about the speed, as on here and rabidfanboys.com, but well, you know, McToys NEVER do any wrong, and it is always someone elses fault.
<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ May 18, 2004 01:47 PM: Message edited by: TCM Hitchhiker ]</font>
-
May 18th, 2004, 04:36 PM
#62
Inactive Member
That was the thread. I sent him an email saying it was uncalled for. Should I hold my breath waiting on a reply? [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
May 18th, 2004, 04:58 PM
#63
Inactive Member
I'd check yer email every other minute, sculpey [img]wink.gif[/img]
Ah well, take it as a sign of our success in keeping this board alive, I guess. Even some employees of the company are implying we are elitist snobs now...and they say McF isn't the same fan friendly company it used to be [img]graemlins/sure.gif[/img]
-
May 18th, 2004, 05:11 PM
#64
Inactive Member
Well, I don't know if you guys remember how the Spiderman thingee went....
... but if we're the Clones... then that means that WE'RE THE REAL SPIDERMEN... and THEY ARE REALLY THE CLONES!!!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
May 18th, 2004, 05:18 PM
#65
Inactive Member
Good lord, why does everything have to be personal? Now, I know a lot of you guys and enjoy interacting with you in an "unofficial" capacity.
It may be helpful to know we've been trying to implement this message board software for quite some time; it was just drowned in red tape. Honestly, aside from me, Hamady and maybe a couple other people, I doubt anyone in the company is even aware of this place. The Web guys aren't trying to "copy" anything, just moving to more of an industry-standard software package. They're just trying to create a better environment for the folks that use that board .... and they're getting slagged for it.
You may not like Donn's comments, but it's his responsibility to make stuff work. He was frustrated trying to track down what was causing the slow load times and having 1,000 people telling him how much he sucks doesn't make it any easier.
Imagine a host of faceless people watching you problem-solve at your daily job and critiquing your progress. It's no fun and it does become personal.
As for the board overall, it remains small relative to the overall number of spawn.com visitors, but that number is stable: 10 to 13 percent of total spawn.com visitors actually visit the message boards in the course of any given month. Very few of that number actually post.
dion
-
May 18th, 2004, 05:26 PM
#66
Inactive Member
We aren't slagging Donn. It's just lately there has been more than one snippy comment towards the spinoff boards.
-
May 18th, 2004, 05:27 PM
#67
HB Forum Owner
The "clone board" comment doesn't bother me, it is in the context he was using it. He went all off on a tangent about the people from this board, and rabidfanboys bitching about the speed of their board. Then going off about how if these boards had 400 people accessing them at one time, they would be slow too. But even though, most of what he said was true, it was said in a VERY snotty way, and he was basically downgrading our boards, and members, which just so happens to be, part of, THEIR FANBASE.
Bottom line, they had NO right, or REASON to call these boards out, when the most people bitching were right in their front yard! It was completely assinine.
<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ May 18, 2004 02:28 PM: Message edited by: TCM Hitchhiker ]</font>
-
May 18th, 2004, 05:29 PM
#68
-megalithanod
Guest
Dion - tell Donn that I can sympathize with him. My job puts me at the end of a microscope with what I do depending on if the project gets released on time or not. I don't have thousands, but I do have hundreds looking over my shoulder.
Tell him to do what I do when he has too many people looking....I start to pick my nose. That gets rid of about 90% of the dolts over my shoulder. Fart and the other 10% usually leave!
-
May 18th, 2004, 05:33 PM
#69
Inactive Member
And I suppose, alternatively, you'd rather have some sort of emotionless drone? At least he, like most of us, gives a damn and tries hard.
As I said, he likely isn't even aware of this board. I refer back to my analogy. Trust me, it's very difficult to do anything when there are 1,000 people backseat driving. Until you've done it, you don't know what I'm talking about.
Be offended if you must be, but I know it wasn't personally directed to any of you or this place in particular.
Dion
-
May 18th, 2004, 05:35 PM
#70
Inactive Member
Then I love him again !! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I know he must have been under tremendous pressure to make things work. And it is running very smoothly in a short amount of time.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks